How to be a ride leader
Ride leaders are the heart and soul of our club and our best advocates for safety.
Our volunteer ride leaders keep our 35+ rides going all year long. We are always
looking for more leaders to lead a ride or even lead a group inside a ride. Please
join our group!
What are the requirements to become a ride leader?
- Be a Hightailers member in good standing.
- Have cycled a minimum of 10 MHBC group rides.
- Attend Traffic Skills 101 and/or additional club provided training.
- Attend semi annual club ride leader meetings.
- Complete two mentored rides. Mentored rides are coordinated through the
MHBC Weekly Ride Coordinator. Mentored rides will cover pre-ride
responsibilities, effective ways to lead a ride, effective ways to sweep a ride,
effective ways to manage a large ride with several assistants. Also covered will
be expectations for safety briefings before the ride, how to handle a rider not
riding safely, how to handle an accident or incident and what to do after a ride.
Tools for group rides will be covered. These tools are Dog Attack or Automobile
Incident Form, Insurance forms, weekly ride feedback form and our rules of the
Ride leader incentives
- Unique MHBC Ride Leader Jersey will be presented after all requirements are
- Limited cost for any club rides with the exception of the BCB ride.
- Group leaders will get discounted rates for the Charles Finney Ride and the Red, White and Blue Ride. The St Patricks Day ride, Tour de La Grange ride and the Wolf River Cafe ride will be free.